Three more days to Stehekin

What we thought would take 3.5 days from Steven’s Pass to Stehekin actually took us an additional 2 full days. I was conserving my phone battery for navigation as there was no sun to charge it with my solar panel, and as a result, I don’t have a lot of pictures or footage to share from the final three days heading into town.

When we crossed Fire Creek Pass and Mica lake on the 28th of September we experienced freezing rain on top of our already wet clothes and gear. The wind was picking up and my nerves started running high. The trail had turned into a gushing river with rapids coming down it and no way to avoid soaking wet feet. Luckily UB knew this part of the trail and was able to lead us through confidently and efficiently as there was no time or GPS signal to even check our location on our apps.

We slept at Vista Creek that night, a full day later than anticipated. Our tents were soaking wet and the only way to stay warm was to use our emergency blanket to cover the base of UB’s tent and throw our soaking wet clothes in my tent. We were still in great spirits despite our dangerous situation, and worked seamlessly as a team to ensure we set up camp in a way that would be survivable for another night.

We discussed the possibility of bunkering down for a full day if the rain continued, but the next morning at around 9am UB made the call that we needed to keep moving. And what a call that was! I had to get out of his tent undressed to conserve my dry clothing and run over to mine to put on soaking wet long johns and my base layer with cold wet rain gear over the top. Our strategy was to move forward 13 miles at low elevation in soaking wet clothes to conserve our remaining dry gear for a final 22 mile push over the last two passes the next morning. This decision may have saved our lives.

On our final night we were still smiling but extremely anxious about the day that lay ahead of us. So far UB had directed the operation flawlessly, and we now needed to dig deep and find the mental and physical strength to ensure our final push into town was in fact our final push. We didn’t have the option of another day on trail at this point.

We woke at 4am with nervous tension filling the tent and hit the trail around 5:30am while the world was still dark. I put on my remaining dry clothing and UB kept on what he was wearing which was still damp from the previous day. My headlamp stopped working about 5 minutes into the morning so I shone our only light from behind while we navigated some small steam crossings over snow covered logs through the dark.

Once we hit the top of the first pass the snow had really set in, but we ploughed on through about 8 inches of freshly fallen snow with UB navigating the trail from his earlier experience of Washington. What a blessing. Once we reached the final peak we still had 15 miles to hike down to High Bridge Ranger Station. We hiked at a close to running pace to keep warm and hopefully catch the 3pm bus to Stehekin. These miles went forever, but with adrenalin pumping through our veins we arrived at High Bridge at 2:30pm, with just enough time to make a warm apple cider and catch the bus while reflecting over the incredibly challenging 5 days we’d just survived.

10 thoughts on “Three more days to Stehekin

  1. I think everybody would have almost (or simply would have) cried arriving there after so many days of being cold, wet, with failing gear and not knowing if you would be able to arrive on time! Hiking in wet clothes in such a weather is unimaginable…
    It is really nice reading this already knowing the outcome, I think I would have been very nervous reading these posts back then! Your achievement is even more amazing to me after having read your last posts – it is not easy to keep your mental energy up under such circumstances. And you made it in the end! All the way to Canada! Congrats again…

  2. So glad your parents are seeing these two videos ONLY after they know you are safe and warm in Vancouver! Putting on soaking wet long johns to start the day sounds pretty un-fun. And even though I knew you made that bus,I still kept expecting to see it drive off while you were out shooting the video!

    • You are right Jamie, we would have been worried even more if we had seen those videos. We are so happy that she is safely in Vancouver with her friends.

  3. Hi Rozanne,
    You’ve had me on the edge of my seat. So glad that you’ve come through this ok, as you’ve done throughout this journey. Stay warm!

  4. An amazing last day, Muk Muk, going into Stehekin. Thanks for going back and posting these for us. You are very generous to us. Those were incredible days.

    By the way, you still owe us a SPOT transmission from the monument. I’m just saying….

  5. Say, Muk Muk, has anyone showed you this incredible picture? Jamie found and posted yesterday. It’s the picture that Carolyn Burkhart (Ravensong) took of you at Devil’s Backbone. As Jamie put it so well when she posted it, you looked BEAUTIFUL, RADIANT. I couldn’t agree more. Enjoy.

  6. Hi darling, I don’t even want to think about if that bus had left already. Lucky that you were there with UB and you both kept to your survival skills. Such an endurance in the wet weather, freezing cold and unimaginable to step into wet clothes. So pleased that I didn’t know about this all. It is easier to read now whilst I know that you are safe and warm in Vancouver. You both should be applauded that you made it through those few days. I am very proud. Love you, Mutti xxoo

  7. words seem so unfit at this time.
    many have been following your journey.
    your safety our biggest concern..

    the next chapter unfolds… breath in …. breath in … then BREATH in…
    and be gentle with yourself
    hugs .. the mom

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s